THE MONTH OF MAY - DEDICATED TO MARY MOTHER OF GOD
During the month of May we think about Our Lady and the special ladies in our lives. We never pray to Mary, but we ask Mary to pray for us and to help carry our prayers to God.
Each year we celebrate Mary with a special Mass or Liturgy for the whole school. Children lead the special day with readings and prayers and lay flowers for Mary.
The queen symbol was attributed to Mary because she was a perfect follower of Christ, who is the absolute “crown” of creation. She is the Mother of the Son of God, who is the King. Mary is the Mother of Christ.
He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High; the Lord will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of His kingdom there will be no end (Luke 1:32-33)
Elizabeth greeted the Blessed Virgin, pregnant with Jesus, as “the mother of my Lord” (Lk 1:41-43). The maid of Nazareth consented to God’s plan; she journeyed on the pilgrimage of faith; she listened to God’s Word and kept it in her heart; she remained steadfastly in close union with her Son, all the way to the foot of the Cross; she persevered in prayer with the Church. Thus, in a way she won the “crown of righteousness” (II Tim 4:8), the “crown of life” (Jas 1:12; Rev 2:10), the “crown of glory” (I Pet 5:4) that is promised to those who follow Christ.
During May, encourage your children to show special devotion to the Blessed Mother. Daily recitation of the Rosary is one way of doing so; keeping fresh flowers before the painting of the Mother and Child in your home may be another.
Pray the Rosary
- Say and reflect upon the prayer, the ‘Hail Mary’.
- Decorate your own copy of the prayer, the ‘Hail Mary’.
- Can you find Bible stories that feature Mary? For example, the Annunciation, the Wedding Feast at Cana.
- Offer your own intentions to Mary by writing your own prayer. ~ this could be a prayer of thanks, a sorry prayer or a prayer asking for help and blessings.
- Draw your own picture of Mary.
- Create your own Rosary beads by using beads and string or by creating a Rosary paper chain.
- Design your own flower crown for Mary – you could draw your flower crown or make a 3D version using craft materials.
- Design your own stained glass window featuring Mary.
- Plant A Mary Garden or tidy up the one you have.