Good morning children.
Daily Home Learning Blog – Monday, 8th June
Good morning Year 5 class. I hope you had a nice weekend. Here are the learning activities for the day.
LO: Using modal verbs
- Remember, modal verbs show a degree of possibility.
- Complete the 2 activities in your home learning book, and take the short quiz
LO: Fractions of amounts in the real world
- We hear fractions all the time in our day to day life: Shop sales, times, describing things, and many more. Today, we will be learning simple ways to find fractions of amounts.
- Whenever trying to find the fractions of amount, simply:
- Take your number
- Divide it by the bottom number of the fraction (denominator)
- Multiply it by the top number (numerator)
- Use the example in the link to help you.
- I would advise for you to ignore the bar model method shown – you may learn about it if you wish, but it’s not a method we use in our school
- Watch the video, and complete the 2 activities
LO: The giving of the Ten Commandments
Read the following Bible story about the Ten Commandments:
- After Moses led the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, they wandered in the desert for many years. They were glad they were free, but it was hard going at times. Sometimes they were hungry and thirsty, then they began to grumble. But God provided for them, in spite of their grumbles and they knew that God was with them leading and guiding them.
- As they made their way through the desert they lived together as a community learning to care for each other’s needs, but above all learning to know and worship the God who had saved them. When they reached a very high mountain called Mount Sinai, Moses ordered the people to camp at the foot of it and not to climb its slopes, because it is God’s mountain. Moses himself began to climb and asked the people to pray that God would teach them the laws which would bring them together as a people. Moses stayed on the mountain for a very long time, praying and talking with God. Then he returned to God’s people and gave them God’s Laws: The Ten Commandments. These were to help the people to live in freedom and to be responsible for their actions.
- Task: Create a list of your own Ten Commandments that you might have in place at home. Think about how they might be different from the Commandments Moses received.
- Make sure your Commandments take care of the needs and well-being of all your family members – not just yourself!
Complete the attached reading comprehension activity.
That’s all for today! I hope you enjoyed the lessons. See you tomorrow!
Fun fact of the day: A crocodile is unable to stick its tongue out.