Come on in!
Daily Learning Blog – Tuesday, 2nd June
Good morning Year 5. Here are your learning activities for the day.
LO: Planning a story
- Lesson 7 from the ‘Black Dog’ unit.
- Today you will be planning your own version of the story.
LO: Subtracting 2 mixed numbers
- Yesterday we looked at adding mixed numbers, and today we will be looking at subtracting 2 mixed numbers.
- The concept is basically the same as adding, but subtracting instead of adding.
- There are 2 methods you can use – choose whichever you prefer
- Convert to improper fraction:
- Watch the videos and complete the worksheets.
- Activity 2 requires some A4 paper – ask an adult before using scissors and cutting the paper. Scrap paper works fine.
- Please complete the reading comprehension activity. The document has 3 versions of the text, please choose the difficulty level you are comfortable with (1, 2, or 3 stars).
- The questions are at the bottom of the document, please make sure you complete the questions that have the same star difficulty as the text.
LO: Designing a Mayan mask
- Masks played a central role in Maya culture. They were made for a variety of occasions and purposes. In fact, they were even used to decorate temples. Wealthy Maya were buried with a death mask, which was intended to protect the wearer on their journey to the afterlife.
- You are going to design a Maya mask.
- Decide whether you are going to create a death mask, or a mask for a special occasion. Your design should suit this.
- You must use symbolism – colours, images, or markings
- You may use the attached template, or design the mask in your home learning book.
- Please write a short description explaining what your mask will be used for, and what the symbols are.
That’s all for today! Bye for now.
Fun fact of the day: An octopus has 3 hearts.